housewives' choice!

Monday, April 14, 2008

KATE NASH, YOU DEVIL

I'm sitting in the student commons area of my school here in the South Loop listening to Kate Nash's Mouthwash over the speakers. The cloying fey pluckish willful inanity of this song makes me yearn for the self importance of Grunge's ennui. Nash sings lyrics like "although you try to infringe you cannot confine" and "even if you try and hold me back there's nothing that you can gain." before moving to the chorus "And I use mouthwash/ Sometimes I floss/ I got a family/ And I drink lots of tea." It's as though she's apologizing for having nearly presented an emotional condition. Maybe she's trying to 'ground' us by the removal of any subjective content? I'm comfortable with burdensome emotionalism, we all are, but buoyant pop so self aware it can't even give us that!? Just sing about a fucking boy.

A tireless machine needs fuel and this is the kind of song the new world order has condoned. It is equally at home in a commercial, place of commerce, or on your miniature music playing device. Perhaps the smaller the player the tinier and more inconsequential the song and its themes.

No comments: